Thursday, February 2, 2012

Soup's On...with Paula! #1


Photobucket


~Corn and Potato Chowder~


Here is our first delicious homemade soup recipe of the month.  Creamy yet chunky soup, rich with the sweet taste of corn.  It is excellent served with thick crusty bread or rolls and topped with some grated sharp cheddar.  A nice soup that does not take long to cook.  I made it this weekend for lunch after we got home from church.  It took 30 minutes start to finish.





INGREDIENTS:
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 medium baking potato, peeled & chopped
1 celery stick, diced
1/4 C green pepper, diced
2 T veg oil
2 T butter
2 1/2 C stock or water
1 1/2 C milk
1/8 C light cream
1 can (11 oz.) corn kernels
pinch of dried sage
salt and pepper
Cheddar cheese, grated
Put onion, garlic, potato, celery and green pepper into a large heavy based pan with the oil and butter.  Heat the ingredients until sizzling then reduce the heat to low.  Cover and cook gently for about 10 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.  

Pour in the stock or water, season with salt and pepper to taste and bring to the boil.  Reduce the heat, cover again and simmer gently for about 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Add the milk, cream, corn (including its liquid) and sage.  Simmer gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until all heated through.  Serve hot, sprinkled with cheese.
NOTE:  I added 1 Cup of diced baked ham to the chowder...my husband is a true carnivore and feels a meal is complete only if it includes meat.  :0)
Also, I have lots of fresh-frozen corn in the freezer from the garden last summer.  I added 2 bags of that instead of a can of corn kernels.  It probably totalled a good 2 Cups of corn.

Enjoy!

See you next Friday!

Paula

14 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I just love Paula Deens' recipes.
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Paula Dean's recipes too! But this "Paula" is my sister, Paula" who posts lots of great recipes here for us @ Take Six. Thanks for visiting, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally going to make this, I am just now ready for a new soup recipe for this winter. And this one sounds yummy, and I agree with your husband a little ham is just the thing. Printing it now. Thanks for sharing. Hugs ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. This soup looks so tasty - I love soup, but my husband isn't a fan, so when I make it, I am enjoying it all by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paula,

    Okay, I just printed this recipe to add to my shopping list...for the week!
    I think I will and add Turkey Keilbasa (sp?) instead of the ham... I will let you know how it turns out...
    Thank you for sharing, I look forward to next week Soup"s On!
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Corn and Potato Chowder looks wonderful... It's a rainy day here in Texas...I'm thinking it's a perfect day to try Paula's recipe. ":o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love chowders. Living in the Northeast lends itself to a wide array of chowder fests and places that serve one version or another and this one looks delicious. I'll be putting it in my recipe file for the coming weeks.

    Stopping by from Foodie Friday. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your corn and potato chowder looks delicious and the pinch of sage is something I'd never have thought of adding. I'll bet it's really great with it.
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll definitely be making this - maybe even today! I have all the ingredients on hand except the celery (would you believe they don't sell celery here??? ANYWHERE???) I even have the cream, which I never have! Thanks for posting this - I'm following you on Linky Followers :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm this looks sooo good! yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe. And your winter mantel in your previous post looks enchanting! I love the red and white color theme and those jar lanterns with white candles look sooo beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration! Following you now through Linky Follower. Would love you to follow me back. Happy weekend to you~Poppy

    http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks REALLY good! I know we would like this. Thanks for stopping by my blog and your nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so delish! Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made this tonight and it is a definite keeper recipe!! Hubby loved it too! That makes it even better! ;0) Thanks Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This soup is so yummy! Thanks so much for joining us on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We loved having you and hope to see you back next Saturday with more of your recipes!! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete

It makes our day to hear from all of our Take Six friends. We read each and every comment, and love it when you visit us!! If you ask us a question we will answer it as a 'reply' in the comment section, so be sure and check back! XO

Pin It button on image hover