Sunday, January 8, 2012

Take 5 with Kathy - "Let it snow..."




Hubby's picture at the waterfall near home
I love snow! Now, I realize many people don’t share my sentiments and are less than enthusiastic about seeing the white stuff while others of my readers may never even have seen snow except in pictures or movies. Back in 1983, I was attending the Child Evangelism Fellowship training institute in Switzerland and one of my roommates from Kenya had never seen snow. What fun it was to introduce her to the first snowfall and see the delight on her face as she made her first snowball! My husband doesn’t really share my passion for snow, although he loves to photograph it, and pushing a shovel or snow blower around to clear the driveway and steps is not his favourite pastime, to say the least!

My miniature planter trees
So far this winter, we’ve only seen three snowfalls amounting to 5-17 centimetres (2-7 inches) each time – enough to make everything look pretty and festive for Christmas and the New Year. The latest was on Thursday, but like many Halifax winters, today (Saturday) is milder and showery so I fear the snow will soon disappear. Last night I asked my hubby to take pictures of the snow on my miniature planter trees as they looked so pretty with the Christmas lights. Today I will be removing all but the white lights and I usually leave the trees there until spring when it is time to replace them with some real plants. I’ll do the same with the park bench tree and leave the snowman lights on for a few weeks yet.

A few of my snowman ornaments

Inside, I have so many snowman ornaments and winter decorations which I love to leave up until I get tired of winter. Now that I’m beginning to put away the Christmas decorations it looks so bare; keeping the snowman theme going helps to keep things appealing and comforting through the long winter months. Even my Christmas village stays, although it is given a new home on the shelves of our entertainment stand. Some people have commented they like it even better there than on the tabletop setting.



Our backyard

Freshly fallen snow has such beauty! I love to see the trees and bushes laden with snow, their branches bent over to caress the ground. It always amazes me how those same trees and bushes bounce right back once the snow melts. A few nights ago I happened to glance outside my bedroom window after turning out the light and the moon was casting the most beautiful shadows on the snow from the trees lining our backyard! I just stood there and marveled at the enchanting silhouette it created. It made me think of the verse, “Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10)


Yesterday, I noticed deer tracks in the snow between our house and the neighbor’s. We live in a heavily populated subdivision, but the deer which live in the woods at the top of the hill continue to explore the community in search of food (much to the chagrin of gardeners in the warmer months!). Last night around 10 PM, I opened the blinds on our dining room window to remove decorations and a young buck with foot-long antlers walked right by me not four feet away! As I called to my husband to come quickly and see, the deer turned and looked straight at me for a few seconds before quietly striding across our lawn and street disappearing between our neighbor’s houses on the other side. I’m always awestruck by the gentle beauty of these magnificent creatures. It brings to mind the verse, “As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.” (Psalm 42:1) If only I was so persistent in searching out the spiritual food that is always plentiful and available in the storehouse of God’s Word!
Taken on back deck 2011

When I see those fluffy flakes drifting earthward and covering the world like a wooly blanket, it is hard to imagine anything more spotless, white, and unspoiled. However, there is something that surpasses this illusion of purity. We read in Psalm 51 King David’s prayer of confession and heartfelt petition for God’s forgiveness, “…wash me and I will be whiter than snow…Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” (verses 7, 9, 10). I thank God that He does the same for you and me when we come before Him in humility and repentance!

Until next Sunday,

Kathy

Welcome, friends, to our front porch!




Joining:
Seasonal Sunday
Sunday's Best

1 comment:

  1. Snow is pretty, but causes problems for so many. Growing up with a sister confined to a wheelchair, I am aware of the things most people don't think about. It is impossible for them to get out once the snow starts, even if the walks are cleared, getting down the curbs which are now ice are a nightmare. People who depend on crutches become housebound for fear of falling.
    Deer are beautiful too, we have an abundance of them. The other night I heard what sounded like cracking plastic. The next morning I saw they had obliterated the shrub at the bottom of my steps, even though it are wrapped in lights! I was surprised as the weather has been mild and there is plenty of green for them to eat without chewing on lights!
    But then again, they eat my roses too, so I guess they don't mind sharp things!
    Have a blessed Sunday, Kathy!
    Here from Seasonal Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

It makes our day to hear from all of our Take Six friends. We read each and every comment, and love it when you visit us!! If you ask us a question we will answer it as a 'reply' in the comment section, so be sure and check back! XO

Pin It button on image hover